Market Place Naturopathic
Market Place Naturopathic

Mold & Mycotoxin Illness

Naturopathic Medicine, Mold Toxicity & Lyme Disease Specialists located in Downtown Seattle , Seattle, WA

Mold & Mycotoxin Illness services offered in Downtown Seattle , Seattle, WA

Molds grow in virtually any warm, damp area. When molds grow in water damaged homes or buildings, certain species such as Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Stachybotrys produce mycotoxins.  Mycotoxins are substances that cause neurotoxin illness and lead to inflammatory and immune  problems. Diagnosing and treating mycotoxin illness requires the expertise of a mold biotoxin literate physician. Alena Zweben, ND, and the team at Market Place Naturopathic in Seattle, Washington can assess if your health is being impacted by exposures to toxic molds. Please request a complimentary 15-minute phone consultation to learn if your symptoms may be due to mycotoxin illness.

What is mycotoxin illness?

Mycotoxin illness is caused by harmful substances produced by mold or fungi. They can be toxic if you inhale or eat them, or they’re absorbed by your skin. 

Molds, microscopic organisms called fungi, grow in warm, damp areas where they also have materials to metabolize. For example, they thrive on wood (floors, furniture), fabric (clothing, curtains, rugs, upholstery), drywall, soil, and paper.

Molds release spores that allow the fungi to spread and grow. Their spores are notorious for causing allergies. However, molds also release numerous toxic substances like mycotoxins that cause other serious illnesses.

What problems might develop if I have mold and mycotoxin illness?

Mold spores and biotoxins are tiny particles that float in the air. As you inhale or eat them, they go into your lungs and bloodstream, traveling throughout your body.

Mycotoxin illness causes widespread inflammation that may affect any system in your body. They can also lead to many conditions, including:

  • Allergic rhinitis
  • Asthma
  • Depression and anxiety
  • Sinus and respiratory infections
  • Multiple chemical sensitivities
  • Mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS)
  • Immune system problems
  • Neurological disorders
  • Infertility

Whether or not you develop a health problem depends on variables like your overall health, susceptibility to mold or fungi, length of exposure, and the type and amount of toxins you inhale (toxin load).

What symptoms occur due to mold and mycotoxin illness?

You may experience symptoms such as:

  • Brain fog
  • Cognitive changes
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Stuffy or runny nose
  • Fatigue
  • Insomnia
  • Sore throat
  • Itchy, blurry eyes
  • Memory loss
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Generally not feeling well (malaise)
  • Abdominal pain and bloating
  • Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
  • Joint and muscle pain
  • Anxiety and depression

If mycotoxins weaken your immune system, you may have recurrent infections. Many people become hypersensitive to specific odors.

How is mold and mycotoxin illness treated?

Dr. Zweben reviews your symptoms and potential exposure to mycotoxins, and completes a physical exam. Then, she may run diagnostic testing, including bloodwork, specialty labs, and Autonomic Response Testing (ART).

Treating mold and mycotoxin illness requires multiple approaches, beginning with identifying and removing the source of the mold. Your treatment progressively eliminates toxins from your body and provides the support needed for healing.

As a naturopathic physician, Dr. Zweben creates a customized treatment plan that draws from many possible therapies to meet your unique health care needs. A few examples include:

  • Detoxification
  • Nutraceuticals
  • IV therapies 
  • Nutritional balancing
  • Anti-inflammatory diet

To find out if you need treatment for mold and mycotoxin illness, submit a contact form to schedule a complimentary 15-minute phone consultation with one of the doctors.